2019 CGHS Curriculum Handbook
2019 Subject Choice Booklet
Dear Parents and Students
This booklet describes all the subjects that students can anticipate during the course of study they will enjoy at secondary school.
The purpose of this booklet is to help you make the best subject choices to meet your particular needs. You need to study the options available very closely and fully discuss these with your parents and teachers and the school's guidance staff if necessary.
Help is available from....
|• your parents||• the Guidance Counsellors|
|• your Subject Teachers||• your Form Teacher|
|• your Dean||•Careers|
Course details and/or costs may be subject to change.
Subject Choice Tips
- Think about the subjects which you like, that you are taking now
- Look ahead to see what new subjects are available next year and if any of these appeal to you
- Check the entry criteria for these subjects, in the Curriculum Handbook in Onstream
Step Three: Find out what subjects you may need for your career ideas
- Go to the Careers NZ website, www.careers.govt.nz and check careers you are interested in. What subjects would you need for them?
- Use the interactive tools on the website:
Jobs by interest: this identifies jobs related to areas of work which interest you
Careerquest: a quiz to match your interests to different jobs
Skillmatcher: a fun way to match the skills you have now to possible jobs/careers
- Use the Subject Choice Afternoon as an opportunity to talk to the Heads of Departments about what different subjects cover and where they can lead
- Check the university, polytechnic and private provider websites, too, to see what subjects are required for entry to their courses.
- If you are unsure of your future directions, it is best to keep your options open
- Some subjects can be picked up later and others can't, so make sure you do take the ones which won't be offered later, if this will give you more choices